"Miracle" outcome of epilepsy surgery
By CBS NEWS — From cbsnews.com June 25, 2011 708 1
Epilepsy affects nearly three million people in the U.S., unfortunately, one-third of those people will not respond to medications.
On "The Early Show" CBS News Correspondent Michelle Miller shared the story of one man who tried everything to stop his seizures, including a risky surgery that could've left him paralyzed.
Sleeping through the night has never been easy for Danny Jakubowitz. He says he never gets a full night's sleep. His nightmare? Nocturnal seizures caused by epilepsy.
For the past 21 years, he's had to endure countless seizures.
Jakubowitz said he had his first seizure when he was just 6 years old.
Since then, he's been seeking treatment at New York's Montefiore Medical Center.
"I could really call (the hospital) a home," he said. "I don't even really have to call it a home away from home. I've been here more than I've probably been in one house for a period of time.